Monday, February 9, 2009

U-Barrel Fiasco

Temperature: -42.6C
Wind Chill: -57.2C
Wind Speed: 8.5 kts

Alright, I know I owe some of you an explanation as to what happened when the Waste Department came out to ARO. For those of you that don't know the whole story, I will explain. Several years ago, the ARO building used to have plumbing in it, then there was a very unfortunate, messy situation with the holding tank, so we decided to get rid of plumbing and put in a barrel with a hose leading up to the bathroom on the second floor. The theory was simple...when the barrel is full, remove it from the hose, add another barrel in its place and repeat the process. No problem.

Fast forward to 2009, the barrel has been removed, replaced, and Waste has been called to come collect! They show up with a loader and I start to signal the driver to come forward, but I have overshot, putting the claw to pick up the barrel behind it. I signal for the driver to back up, which they do, but the claw catches the back of the barrel, pulling it off the pallet it's on, and dangerously close to the edge of the loading dock. Not wanting a spill, I grabbed the barrel, but I couldn't keep it from tipping off the loading dock. Unfortunately, it pulled me over the edge with it! I had enough time, though, to avoid the barrel and jumped away from it, landing on the tangerine in my coat. I discovered that later when I noticed mush in my pocket. There was a lot of good news, though. The barrel lid stayed on, there was no spill, and the barrel didn't roll underneath ARO...that would have been a pain!! The other good news was that I didn't land on or underneath the barrel. When the loader operator realized I was okay, they were regretting not having a camera. I knew better than to go after a 55 gallon drum, but I really didn't want to find out if the barrel was going to survive the drop...luckily it was soft snow!



I hope you found that amusing. Cully has almost talked me into recreating it so he can get a couple pictures!

Capt. Splash

No comments: