Thursday, June 18, 2009

Auroras and Competitions

Temperature: -55.6C
Wind Chill: -74.6C
Wind Speed: kts

Just a quick note to let folks know I am trying to get reaquainted with my camera again. Last week, before the moon dove under the horizon for the next two weeks, I was able to snap a couple more aurora pictures from ARO.



Our pool competition is nearing regular completion play...before the finals start, and right now I am sitting pretty good. I seem to have lost some of my game, though, so we will have to see how the next couple weeks play out....

On a lighter note, I have some unexpected news! Some people down here entered a photo competition out of Tasmania, celebrating midwinter in the southern hemisphere. They sent in a couple shots, and waited a couple weeks to find out if they had been selected as one of the finalists. The photos are about the size of a sheet of paper when they are printed out, and the finalists have the option of having those prints be shown at another gallery in Australia. A couple friends talked me into entering a couple of my pictures, and I just found that the one of Cully launching one of our ozone balloons got selected!




We'll see where this goes, but I am really glad I got talked into submitting into this competition!! Looking forward to seeing what the outcome is...so far three of us from the station became finalists...our sous-chef, and our PA also got selected!

Midwinter Festival is coming up on station as well, delicious food, live music, and games will be the order of this weekend. I will try to snap a few shots of some of those good times! In the mean time, take care and we'll keep the rest of the real world up to date with the goings on down here!

Capt. Splash



































No comments: